When life changes unexpectedly, as it has this year, it’s easy to lose touch with yourself and, worse, fall out of love with who you are.
2020 has proven to be one of the most challenging years that many people have experienced in their lifetime. You may have found yourself caught up in the dreariness that the pandemic has brought upon us all, and if you’re feeling down in the dumps, you might be looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. Today’s guide is full of practical, tried, and tested tips to rediscover the best version of yourself.
Heal your mind
One of the most significant impacts of COVID-19 is the negative effect it’s had on mental health in many people all around the world. These are such strange times we’re living in, and it’s completely normal to feel out of whack when normality has been disrupted. Give yourself time to heal mentally, and don’t beat yourself up about feeling the way you do! Here are some things to try:
- Speak to your doctor about the way you’ve been feeling. They’ll be able to recommend treatment or therapy if that’s something you’re interested in trying.
- Talk to a loved one, and do it regularly. You don’t have to face this battle alone, and chances are, they’ve been feeling the same way.
- Take time for yourself. Run a bath, read a book, snuggle up, and watch a good film.
- Allow yourself to cry. Crying helps relieve pent up frustrations! Remember, if you find yourself crying more often than usual, that could be a sign of depression, so you should speak to a professional.
Once you’ve healed your mind, you can concentrate on other aspects of your life!
Did you know that your eating habits can affect the way you’re feeling mentally and physically? During lockdown, it’s understandable that you may not have eaten as well as you should have, or you’ve snacked on goodies a little bit too often – and that’s perfectly okay!
Changing your eating habits for the better will help the way you feel, improve your skin, maintain a healthy weight, and even sleep better! Why not try out some new recipes to keep things exciting and prevent you from falling into the same mundane routine again?
Sleep it off
Sleep is so crucial for your body, yet it’s much easier said than done! When you’ve got things on your mind, it can be challenging to fall asleep. Here are some tips on how you can help yourself get a better night of sleep:
- Write it down. You’ll be surprised at how much easier it is to fall asleep when you’ve unloaded your worries and thoughts. Try writing in a journal so you can revisit in the future to see how far you’ve come!
- Turn off devices an hour before bed. Screen time can hinder the body’s ability to fall asleep.
- Have your eyes tested! If you work in front of a computer all day, your eyes may be affected by the screen’s glare, making it harder to fall asleep. Why not treat yourself to some new frames? Visit Website for some ideas on glasses to suit you.
- Sleep naked. Some studies suggest that sleeping naked can help you sleep for longer and much more comfortably.
Find something new and exciting to put your energy into
When you’re in a rut, your daily routines can quickly become boring, and you’ll find yourself dreading each day as it comes. Finding something new to get your teeth into will leave you waking up each day looking forward to the day’s events! Whether that be finding a new hobby, changing your career, or challenging yourself with a new exercise regime, you’ll begin to love this new version of yourself.
Sometimes self-care means being completely selfish – and so you should! Take time to concentrate on what makes you happy, even if that means saying no to someone asking something of you. A short time away to take care of yourself is worth it! Say no to that dinner party or the extra shift and look out for number one!
Do something selfless
Finally, one of the best ways of finding a sense of well-being is by doing something selfless for someone or something else. You could volunteer at a refuge, adopt an abandoned pet, or donate to a charity you’re passionate about! Whatever you decide, you’ll find yourself loving life and most importantly, loving yourself again!